08 January 2012

Maintaining traditions

The bride to be with her friends.. The folk traditions of "Viana do Castelo" "Minho" province in the north of Portugal . This province is said to be the prettiest province and is rich in history and true to maintaining their traditions and cultural heritage. Full of pomp ,the religious ceremonies are trully something to see. The Minho people are a very happy people.
A wedding is a great occassion and takes some months of preperation. The young girls start to show off their aquired gold necklaces and earings at an early age. Such a happy group of girls. They are preparing for a "Romeria"- A ceremonial religious day.
Three brides to be adorned with their traditional gold necklaces..a sign of wealth.










This bride has the most beautiful necklaces and earings.. Her head vail possibly hand made.


A young Married couple Of all the Folklore traditions of Portugal, the traditional bridal dress of the girls from the "Minho " region, is my favorite. The brides formal traditional attire is black, with a white headscarf. She is adorned with necklaces of pure gold, wearing them with pride. Some of the gold, having been handed down from great grandmother ,to grandmother ,mother then daughter.

Totally a personal family affair for choice of a wedding dress. Many of the girls that uphold the folklore traditions use the "Traje" outfit.. as their wedding dress .

I learned about the traditions of the "Minhotas" from "Viana do Castelo" from the godmother of my middle son Miguel..she too was a member of a folklore group,often showing me her gold. Now handed down to her daughters. She told me many lovely stories over the years ,of the beautiful traditions and ways of her people of that region. That was some 40 years ago. We are still good old friends. I have of course learnt much more since living here.
Tucked down in one of my kists is a traditional Minho "traje" outfit my friend bought for my daughter when she was 4.. I used to dress her in it at party times.. she loved it.

The more gold the bride to be wears ,the larger her "dowry"!. The young suiter on seeing how much gold the girl wears, will be able to determine if he can sustain and keep her.
Long standing traditions.. that are passed on generation to generation.

Of course there is lots to tell about countries folklore and lots to learn. I enjoyed writing this blog, I wanted to share it with you. . "Minho's" traditions add richness to Portugal's culture.

9 comments:

  1. such gorgeous colours on the local costumes and bride dresses!
    here in Norway lots of women stil using their traditional dresses for special occasions. i love that : )

    thanks for visiting i appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Demie.. i am sure the same traditions are upheld in Greece.. and I know Norway have a lovely folklore culture..

    See you soon

    val

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting that they wear black to marry. Having said that I really like the black and gold along with the white headdress - thanks for sharing these traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The girls of course where white dresses.. _
    the black is just for girls that like the folklore tradition..
    thanks Rosemary
    val

    ReplyDelete
  5. Val, this is a lovely post! I love the colourful traditional costumes and I bet the music is fantastic, too!

    I love the big gold necklaces. They are so exotic, it seems hard to believe they are from Europe! Really, really lovely stuff, Val!

    Buona notte

    ANNA

    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed reading this post, Val! The photographs are gorgeous and show what you are writing about. Such rich traditions are very important for our lifes. I believe they make us aware of our roots. Thanks a lot, Val! Once again very interesting! xx Christa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Christa..
    Its just a little bit of the Portuguese culture i like..
    I like their simple traditions and the people too.
    val

    ReplyDelete
  8. An interesting post Val and one I enjoyed reading immensely. It's great to learn about different cultures and traditions.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Red Roses and Crystal..

    I like the traditions.. When i was younger.. i used to love to watch the folklore dancing and all the lovely costumes..
    xx

    ReplyDelete